The Funeral Flower
Michelle Jester
Publication date: June 20th 2017
Genres: Contemporary, New Adult
Devastated by the death of her grandfather, six-year-old Kelly Rodgers barely manages to cope with the profound loss. Already facing issues at school, she finds herself spiraling deeper into despair, when a fateful interaction through the fence in her backyard gives her hope. In the years following, Kelly realizes that life’s tragedies can be dealt with through acceptance; until another series of agonizing events leaves her heart in pieces.
Finding herself thrown into new surroundings, Kelly embraces her life and resolves to never fall in love. That decision is easy to keep until her junior year when she is drawn by an unavoidable attraction to the new guy, tormented James Delaney. The moment he looks up at her and smiles, her body betrays her. And he notices. She is determined to avoid him, but soon Kelly is forced to face the inevitable truth: She doesn’t want to avoid James… and he won’t let her.
Even though tragedy always follows love.


This book is intended for mature audiences due to critical subject matter.

Note: Due to mature content recommended for Ages 17+
Guest Post: Insta-love versus a slowly developing relationship

First, let me get this out of the way: I am a hopeless romantic.

Often when people hear the story about how my husband and I met, they always have one of only two reactions: they fully believe it or they fully don’t. A few have actually laughed at it, mockingly.  However, the fact of the matter is the moment we saw each other, whether it was lust or whatever, we were drawn to one another so strongly that we couldn’t ignore it…and we have witnesses.

Do I believe in love at first sight? No, I don’t. I believe in connection at first sight. I believe we can be inexplicably drawn to another person. To be connected in such a strong way that all the things you thought you knew and wanted in a relationship can change in that moment.

Relationships are built through trust, respect, and commitment. Yes, I used the dirty word of commitment, but it’s true. I always say that I have been married to three men in my life; the Larry I met in high school, the Larry that came back from war, and the Larry that medically retired.  While they are all the same, they are different in so many ways. I know he’s been married to a few Michelle’s too. We embrace and love all the scars and changes. We develop a deeper bond and connection by staying and supporting one another that far transcends any connection we had that first day.

Through slowly developing a relationship you learn to find respect for your spouse. You thought when you first met your spouse that he/she was even-tempered, later in life if you think your spouse is lazy, remember that once you admired that trait. Overly aggressive; once a go getter. Abrasive; once honest. Not serious enough; once happy. Too serious; once dedicated and loyal.

I’ve spoken at conferences over the years and people often ask me what the “key” to our marriage is. Aside from respect (if you don’t have respect for your spouse- find it!) I give several tips: never back your spouse in a corner because human nature dictates that they will come out fighting, don’t put them in a box because nobody wants to be like everybody else, and don’t limit their ability to grow because they will, whether you want them to or not, and either you’ll grow with them or they’ll outgrow you.


So commit to developing your relationship. Say to your spouse “I know we will have hard times. We will fight. We will disagree and we will never see eye to eye on everything, but I’m committed to stay and fall in love over and over with you.”




Author Bio:
I am a hopeless romantic (I think this is the most important thing to know about me). In addition, I live in Greenwell Springs, Louisiana with my husband and high school sweetheart. Together we have a son and daughter.
Throughout my life writing and photography have been my main creative outlets. Especially when I am stressed, I know I can go to either of those things and pour out that anxiety into something good and productive.

XBTBanner1